Thursday, January 21, 2010

Artists of the moment: St Louis Joe


"Had the time to catch up with the underground artists St Louis Joe. We told you guys in the past hip hop creativity is not dead. There still artist out there that know the true meaning of hip hop as an art. Well here you go enough of us check out St Louis Joe answer some questions and drop off there material...Support!"

1.Tell us about yourself and what you currently do? (Age, educational background, hobbies)
Elete: We have had the name St Joe Louis for about 3 years. Before that we went as Prizm, but had to change it due to licensing issues. The 3 members are Michael Cardigan, Elete Wright, from Newark New Jersey and Tom Chase from Waco Texas. We all have day jobs and smoke hooka. 2 out of 3 have locks. 3 out of 3 dress fly. 1 out of 3 loves sushi. 2 out of 3 smoke cigars. 2 out of 3 like anime. 3 out 3 like comics. 1 out of 3 skateboard. 1 out of 3 made it a hobby in high school to successfully out-debate priests and bishops on religion. 1 out of 3 is training to be a tattoo artist. Ya moms probably wants to take one of us on a date.
2. What makes you different from everyone in your field?
Elete: The persistence of quality and attention to detail. We just express things in a way that makes sense to us. All feeling no filler. We don’t try to fit a particular mold or subscribe to a formal school of thought. And we’re usually dressed better lol.
3.What made you start? (skateboarding, bike riding, DJing, rapping etc.)
Michael Cardigan: There was a void between what was there and what I wanted to see so I am filling that gap.
Elete: I was fascinated with manipulating words and the ideas therein. That hobby became a passion. The same with production.
Tom Chase: well I’m from Texas so I took up skateboarding before I started taking rap seriously I’m not good at it like on a professional level but I was just inspired by the rebel-''esc'' attitude of the 1980's skateboarders I didn’t really get into rap until I moved up north to Brooklyn.
4. Who is the biggest influence in your life?
Tom Chase: My biggest influence is my mother. That’s pretty much it.
Elete Wright: My father. I act just like him. Oh, Shonuff from “The Last Dragon” , Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu from “Star Wars”. They are the flyest black fictional characters from my childhood.
5. What big names have you have worked with in the past?
Elete Wright : Joe Budden, Nucci Reyo, Vast Aire, Sky Zoo, and Malay to name a few.
6. What does Dirty Backpack Krew mean to you?
Michael Cardigan: That you are working at something hence the dirt and that work keeps you out long hours hence the backpack.
Elete Wright: It actually reminds me of ciphering all day and night all over the tri-state, building a name for myself my crew and my state. I guess you could say I was a “backpack rapper”. These days I spend more time in the studio, and I don’t carry around my backpack anymore. But I still have it. Its dirty as hell, the stains are mementos of my adventures.
Tom Chase: ummmmmmmmm you're not afraid to do what you have to do even if something that you want to do and you're always on the move in short a hard worker. That's what I get from the term "Dirty Backpack Krew"

7. Any Last Words or comments for the readers…………………
Michael Cardigan: Look out for the upcoming project 30,000ft High & Rising.
Tom Chase: S.J.L., D.B.K, E.A., TOKYO SKYLINE 30,000 ft HIGH &RISING GET OR GET DELT WIT!
Elete Wright: NJ all day.

http://2dopeboyz.okayplayer.com/2009/11/11/st-joe-louis-good-morning/

No comments: